HISCOM Site Customisations
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Both the HISCOM web site and this wiki have been customised. The following changes have been made so far to support committee members.
Note: The Joomla portion of the site had remained unedited since late 2008, and thus it was removed in mid-2011.
- Hacked the template index.php so it uses a 1024 pixel wide default. The original 800 pixel wide template was too narrow.
- Hacked the template template_css.css so it enabled a number of things:
- Larger text (to 12px default) for tired eyes. 11px default for news feeds and modules so the main content is given the user's focus.
- Wider site title so we could get the whole committee name in the title.
- Fixed the left margin and bolding on newsfeed display so that more text could fit in the news feed box.
- Left aligned the syndication icons because centred looked wrong.
- Enabled the default Joomla "search engine friendly URLs".
- Changed display of content items and components so the resulting pages are less distracting — Joomla puts out a lot of extra stuff on certain pages, and this was making the page too complex.
- Enabled the News menu item so we can trawl through the news items more easily
- Enabled the Links menu item so we can link to member sites and related organisations. Removed TDWG link from the menu now that it was on the Links page.
- Enabled the Contact Us menu item with one contact for the HISCOM Chair, directed to the
chair at hiscom.chah.org.auemail address.
- Added our own custom .ico file in place of the Joomla default.
- Tested the FAQs feature, but found that the Contact Us feature was going to do a better job.
- Added Links and News items to test the new features.
- Upgraded to Joomla Version 1.0.13 (was pretty easy, just backed up the template folder, ran the upgrade from the cpanel fantastico function and then restored the template) --Peter 13:49, 2 August 2007 (EST)
- Updated the Global Configuration to ensure the new .ico continues to be used after the site upgrade. Benr 21:23, 6 August 2007 (EST)
- Updated the menu item for "Links" so it doesn't display hits for each Member Site or Related Organisation. Benr 12:37, 9 August 2007 (EST)
- Ran the edits suggested at http://bit.ly/qzJvW1 so that the site runs in PHP 5.3.
- Implemented the Cite.php extension so that our pages can do citations and references.
- Enabled file uploads so that PDFs could be created and uploaded in place of some older HTML-based technical manuals that were too difficult to convert to Wiki or Joomla pages.
- Added a logo that matches the main site.
- the customisations are mostly at the end of the file